Are Black Snakes Good To Have Around?
Black snakes are common sites around gardens and other areas of human habitation. Often, these snakes are not greeted with enthusiasm. But, are black snakes good to have around?
Benefits of Black Snakes
Black snakes can be beneficial creatures to have around. Here is a list of benefits they can provide:
- Reducing Pest Populations: Black snakes help reduce the populations of pests such as rodents, worms, and insects, thus reducing the food source of other, more venomous snakes such as rattlesnakes and copperheads.
- Prevention of Rodent Damage: Black snakes eat rodents, which can cause damage to property and gardens. Keeping these populations in check can prevent damage and destruction.
- Protection from Venomous Species: Black snakes prey on other venomous species, and their presence can decrease the chances of bites from more dangerous snakes.
Dangers of Black Snakes
As beneficial as black snakes can be, they do pose a few risks that should be accounted for. Here are a few to be aware of:
- Possibility of Bites: Black snakes are non-venomous, but they are still capable and may choose to bite if they feel threatened.
- Carry Disease: Black snakes can carry diseases, many of which can be passed on to humans in the case of a bite.
- Risk to Pets: Small pets such as cats and mice are vulnerable to attacks from black snakes, so caution should be taken if you have any small animals in your home.
All things considered, black snakes can be beneficial creatures to have around. They help reduce pest populations, protect from dangerous species, and can even protect your property from destructive rodents. While there are some dangers associated with black snakes, the benefits of having them around often outweigh the risks.