Are Hedgehogs Good For Gardens?
For many years, hedgehogs have been great companions for gardeners and nature enthusiasts in the wild and in their very own gardens. Not only are they adorable and fun to watch, they are also helpful in keeping the garden healthy. So, are hedgehogs really good for gardens?
Benefits of Hedgehogs in Gardens
- Natural Pest Control – Hedgehogs eat a wide range of insects, including slugs, snails, and caterpillars. This can help to reduce the need for chemical-based pest control.
- Aeration and Fertilization – As they move around and search for food, hedgehogs will disturb the soil, aiding aeration and promoting water drainage. Their natural waste is also a great fertilizer for your soil.
- Reducing Deer and Other Animal Damage – Hedgehogs often seek shelter in gardens, where they can feed on pests and vegetation. The presence of a hedgehog can help deter deer from feeding on your plants.
- Good Companions – Hedgehogs can make great companions for gardeners and wildlife enthusiasts, with their playful and active behavior. Watching them forage for food is always an enjoyable treat.
Things to Consider
Hedgehogs are a great addition to any garden. However, there are a few things to consider before bringing them into your garden:
- Hedgehogs need plenty of room to explore and search for food. If your garden is small and doesn’t have enough room for a hedgehog to roam, it’s better to not bring them in.
- Due to their diet, hedgehogs might be tempted to dig in your flower beds in search of worms and other insects. If you don’t want them to do this, make sure to cover the bed with netting or other materials.
- You may need to provide a hedgehog-proof food bowl for them if you don’t want them to scavenge for food in the garden. Make sure to use natural and organic food for the best results and health for the hedgehogs.
- It is important to check with local laws before bringing in a hedgehog. In some US states, keeping hedgehogs is illegal, so make sure to research the law in your state.
Hedgehogs can be a great addition to any garden, and they can help maintain a healthy and enjoyable outdoor space. There are a few things to consider before bringing in hedgehogs, such as size, laws, and food, but overall, hedgehogs can be a great companion and helper for any gardener.