Are Hedgehogs Legal in Utah?
Are Hedgehogs Legal in Utah With the popularity of owning exotic animals as pets on the rise, many interested pet owners are wondering if they can own a pet hedgehog in Utah. Fortunately, the answer is yes! While different kinds of exotic animals may be illegal in some states, hedgehogs are legal in Utah.
Buying and Owning Hedgehogs in Utah
If you are considering purchasing a pet hedgehog in Utah, there are some important things to keep in mind.
- A permit is not required to own a hedgehog.
- Hedgehogs are allowed in apartments and rental homes.
- Local municipalities may have their own regulations regarding the sale of hedgehogs in its jurisdiction.
Also, take the time to research hedgehog breeders before you commit to buying one. Make sure that they comply with the laws in their state and are reputable.
Hedgehogs as Pets
Hedgehogs make wonderful pets, as they are intelligent and friendly animals that enjoy human interaction. They love snuggles and many will sit in their human’s lap for extended periods. They are relatively quiet creatures and are easy to take care of.
- Environment: Hedgehogs appreciate a warm and cozy environment, such as a special box or other hideaway to call their home. Hedgehogs also require a lot of hides throughout their habitats to provide them with comfort and security.
- Food: A quality complete diet should consist of fresh vegetables, protein (eggs, lean meat, insects, etc.), and high-quality kibble.
- Exercise: Hedgehogs enjoy running and chasing toys, so you’ll need to provide a space where they can burn off energy.
Owning a pet hedgehog in Utah is a great way to give an abandoned or neglected hedgehog a loving home. Don’t forget to investigate a breeder before you commit to buying a hedgehog and make sure you spend some quality time with your new companion, as hedgehogs thrive off of companionship.