Are Hedgehogs Legal in Washington State?
Living in Washington State, you may have wondered if you are able to keep a hedgehog as a pet? The answer is yes, you can, with some restrictions.
Requirements for Hedgehog Ownership in Washington State
The Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife has established some requirements for hedgehog ownership. These include:
- Hedgehogs must be obtained from a USDA-licensed dealer. This means you must purchase your hedgehog from a seller that goes through their required certification process.
- Hedgehog owners must apply for a permit. In order to legally own a hedgehog, you must apply for and receive a permit from the Department of Fish and Wildlife.
- Hedgehogs may not be released into the wild. Not only is this illegal, but releasing a hedgehog into the wild is extremely dangerous to the animal, as well as to the local ecosystem.
Steps to Obtaining a Permit for Hedgehog Ownership in Washington State
- Gather the necessary paperwork.
- Contact the Department of Fish and Wildlife to request a permit application.
- Fill out the permit application and provide proof of purchase from your USDA-licensed dealer.
- Submit the permit application to the Department with the appropriate fee.
- Once approved, the permit should arrive within 4-6 weeks.
If you are interested in owning a hedgehog as a pet in Washington State, make sure that you are familiar with the requirements for owning one. The process of obtaining a permit for hedgehog ownership is fairly simple and will ensure that you are a responsible pet owner.