Small Pets

are lipstick plants toxic to cats


Are Lipstick Plants Toxic to Cats?

As a pet owner, understanding which plants are safe for your furry friends and which are not is essential. So, what about lipstick plants? Are lipstick plants toxic to cats?

Toxic Components in Lipstick Plants

The short answer is yes, lipstick plants contain components that can be toxic to cats. Lipstick plants, also known as Aeschynanthus radicans, contain a chemical called saponin which increases the plants’ resistance to pests and diseases. Saponin, however, is dangerous when consumed by cats, as it harms their digestive systems and can lead to vomiting, difficulty breathing, and even drooling. Additionally, many lipstick plants are poisonous when ingested, as they contain toxic components such as calcium oxalate crystals.

Symptoms of Lipstick Plant Poisoning

If your cat has ingested a lipstick plant, you should look out for the following symptoms:

    • Vomiting


    • Diarrhea


    • Drooling


    • Difficultly Breathing


    • Loss of Appetite


    • Abdominal Pain


If you notice any of these symptoms, it is important to take your cat to the vet as soon as possible.

Preventing Lipstick Plant Poisoning

The best way to avoid lipstick plant poisoning in cats is to prevent the contact between the two. Keeping the plants away from your cats is the best way to ensure their safety. It is also important to remember that cats will often nibble on plants around the house, so if in doubt, it is best to keep any potentially dangerous plants well out of reach.

Overall, while lipstick plants can be an attractive way to decorate your home, they should be kept away from cats as they can be toxic if ingested. If you think your cat has ingested a lipstick plant, take them to the vet immediately.

Recent Post

Join Our Channel

Send Us A Message