Are Morning Glories Poisonous to Dogs?
Are Morning Glories Poisonous to Dogs The morning glory (family Convolvulaceae) is a weed that is easily found in many climates. It is a beautiful plant, with its trumpet-shaped flowers in a range of vibrant colors. Unfortunately, the morning glory is potentially toxic. So the question is, are morning glories poisonous to dogs?
Fortunately, morning glories are not considered to be toxic to dogs; however, there are other poisonous plants in the Convolvulaceae family that you should be aware of. Common toxicities in this family include:
- Datura: all parts of this plant are highly toxic if ingested by dogs and can be fatal.
- Ivy: all parts of this plant can be toxic to dogs if ingested, but especially the berries.
- Moonflower: these flowers contain a toxin that can cause nausea and vomiting if ingested by dogs.
If you have morning glories in your garden, it is important to keep an eye on your dog’s activity. To prevent your dog from ingesting any part of this plant, consider the following:
- Keep your dog away from areas where morning glories are grown.
- Remove any fallen morning glory leaves or flowers from your from your garden or yard.
- Always supervise your dog when he/she is outside.
Overall, morning glories are not overtly toxic to dogs, but it’s still important to keep an eye on pets, especially in areas where these plants are being grown. To ensure the safety of your dog, make sure to keep an eye out for other toxic plants in the Convolvulaceae family and take the necessary safety precautions.