Are Pet Hedgehogs Legal?
Hedgehogs may be small and adorable, but are they legal as a pet in your state? Several countries have laws in place that dictate where and how you can have a pet hedgehog.
Are Pet Hedgehogs Legal in the US?
In the United States, hedgehogs are legal to keep as pets in most states. However, certain states do have restrictions on owning a hedgehog. These include California, Georgia, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, and Maine.
The Pros and Cons of Owning Pet Hedgehogs
There are both pros and cons to owning pet hedgehogs. The pros include:
- Quiet: Hedgehogs are very quiet animals, which makes them a great pet for those who do not want a noisy pet.
- Cuddly: Hedgehogs are very cuddly and love to snuggle up with their owners.
- Low Maintenance: They do not require a lot of care and can live in a small cage.
The cons of owning a hedgehog include:
- Cost: Hedgehogs can be expensive to purchase and need specific supplies.
- Odor: If not cleaned regularly, their cages can have a strong odor.
- Vetting: In most states a vet must approve the hedgehog before it can become a pet.
Hedgehogs are legal as pets in most states in the US, but there are some states where they are restricted. If you decide to own a hedgehog, make sure you are prepared for the pros and cons before making the commitment.