Are Rabbits Hypoallergenic?
A lot of people who have pet allergies might be considering adopting a pet rabbit, whether it be as a standalone pet or part of a pet family. It’s important to know if rabbits are hypoallergenic, and luckily, the answer is usually yes.
Why are Rabbits Hypoallergenic?
Rabbits have highly impermeable coats that locks out the protein which causes most allergies. The protein – which causes fur, dander, and other particles – is unable to get into the air. Because of this, people are not as likely to have an allergic reaction to pet rabbits.
Caring for Your Hypoallergenic Pet Rabbit
Though rabbits are considered hypoallergenic, it doesn’t mean you can forgo caring for your pet’s coat. Here are some tips for looking after your pet rabbit:
- Grooming – Grooming sessions help to keep your rabbit’s coat health and smooth. Use a special brush suitable for long-haired rabbits if your pet has long fur.
- Bathing – A regular bath will help keep your rabbit’s fur clean and healthy. Avoid using human-based hair products, as some ingredients in them can harm your pet.
- Good nutrition – Eating a balanced and nutritious diet will ensure your rabbit’s coat has the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
- Sun exposure – A little bit of sunshine each day will help produce vitamins and minerals which are important for a healthy coat.
Tips to Avoid Allergic Reactions
If you or someone in your family is allergic to rabbits, there are some tips you can follow to help prevent an allergic reaction:
- Regularly vacuum or dust – Regularly clean your house to avoid dust and pet fur from settling.
- Choose a hypoallergenic breed – If you’re looking to adopt a rabbit, there are hypoallergenic breeds and coat types which are less likely to produce allergens.
- Buy pet-specific cleaning products – Using pet-safe cleaning products can help reduce allergens in your home.
Rabbits are typically considered to be a hypoallergenic pet. Though it’s not a guarantee that people won’t have allergic reactions, the impermeable coat of rabbits means that allergen particles are not able to get into the air. With proper care and maintenance, you and your family can enjoy the company of a hypoallergenic pet rabbit.