Are snake plants poisonous to dogs


Are Snake Plants Poisonous To Dogs?

Are snake plants poisonous to dogs? A snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata) is a common houseplant due to its easy-to-grow nature and low maintenance requirements. But are snake plants safe for our furry friends?

Can Dogs Eat Snake Plants?

The short answer is not really. While snake plants aren’t toxic or poisonous to dogs, they can cause gastrointestinal upset if eaten, so it’s best to keep your pup away from the foliage.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats a Snake Plant

Should your canine companion decide to take a snacking tour of your plant shelves and starts munching away on your snake plant, it is important to know what to do next.

If your pup has been eating the foliage, there is no need to panic, but it is best to monitor him for the next day or two for signs of vomiting or diarrhea. However, if those issues arise, it is always a good idea to contact your veterinarian for the best advice.

Is There Anything Else I Should Be Doing With My Snake Plant?

It is important to keep in mind that when it comes to pets in general, if ingested, snake plants can cause:

    • Nausea


    • Vomiting


    • Diarrhea


Therefore, it’s best to keep your snake plant out of reach of your curious pup. If possible, create a physical barrier such as a fence, gate, or plant shelf far away from your pup’s reach.

Finally, regular upkeep is also important. Make sure to regularly check for small of pieces of soil or foliage that have broken off the plant that your pup may find interesting and may attempt to eat.


In conclusion, snake plants can be a beautiful and easy-to-maintain addition to your home. Just keep in mind that they are not ideal for furry friends and can cause potential gastro issues should they be ingested. Therefore, by providing adequate safety measures and regular upkeep, you and your pup can co-exist peacefully with a stunning snake plant.

Recent Post

Join Our Channel

Send Us A Message