What Seeds Can Guinea Pigs Eat?
It can be hard to find the right diet for small animals like guinea pigs, but they reap huge benefits when they get the right nutrition. Seeds can make up part of a guinea pigs diet, but it’s important to make sure that they are getting the right type of seeds in the correct quantity.
What Seeds Are Safe For Guinea Pigs?
Guinea pigs can have various types of seeds, as long as they are safe to eat and are being given in the appropriate amount. Here are some examples:
- Sunflower seeds – These can provide essential fatty acids and vitamins, promoting a healthy, glossy coat.
- Pumpkin seeds – Pumpkin seeds are high in mono-unsaturated fatty acids, and can provide the animal with some important vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants.
- Safflower seeds – Safflower seeds are a good source of carbohydrates, providing energy to help the guinea pig stay active.
What Are The Benefits of Eating Seeds?
Eating seeds can provide a range of health benefits for guinea pigs. This includes:
- Added fibre, which is important for their digestive di – st system.
- A more varied diet, which helps to keep the guinea pig entertained and encouraged to eat.
- Vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids, which help to keep the guinea pig healthy and strong.
Is There Anything to Avoid?
Most types of seed are safe for guinea pigs to eat, however, there are some which should be avoided. These include:
- Anything spicy and/or heavily salted.
- Seeds from fruits, as these are typically too acidic.
- Any type of nut, as these can be difficult for guinea pigs to digest.
Seeds can be a great way to add variety to a guinea pig’s diet, as long as they are the correct type and in moderation. When it doubt, it’s best to speak to a vet for advice and guidance.