Do Bearded Dragons Enjoy Being Held?
Bearded dragons are lovable, scaly pets that have been growing in popularity recently. Many potential owners wonder if these sweet lizards like to be held and interacted with. The good news is that bearded dragons do enjoy being handled, however there are important things to keep in mind when doing so.
Getting the Dragon Used to Human Interaction
Bearded dragons are naturally skittish creatures, so it takes patience and diligence to get them used to being handled. Here are some tips to get a pet bearded dragon used to interacting with people:
- Introduce Yourself: Start by introducing yourself to your pet dragon by talking to it in a calm, soothing voice. Let them get used to your presence.
- Provide Treats: Give your dragon treats (like cauliflower or worms) when they respond positively to your presence. This reinforces their pleasant experiences with humans.
- Get Down at Their Level: Instead of towering over your dragon, crouch down and talk to them from their level. This helps to make your pet dragon more comfortable.
- Provide a Soft Surface: Place a soft pillow or blanket on a table before handling your dragon. This way you can carefully put your pet down without danger of falling or being scared.
Holding a Comfortable Dragon
Once your bearded dragon is used to your presence, you can begin to carefully pick them up. Some things to keep in mind:
- Handle Only When Necessary: Don’t handle your dragon too often. This can be stressful and can disrupt their regular routines.
- Watch for Signs of Stress: Be on the lookout for signs of stress (like gaping, retreating, and twitching) when handling your dragon. If you notice these signs, put them down right away and take a few steps back.
- Be Gentle: When picking up your dragon, do so slowly and gently. Support their body from underneath, using one hand on the belly and the other on their back legs.
- Support Their Head: When holding your dragon, make sure to support their head and neck. Don’t let their head dangle, as this can be uncomfortable and even dangerous.
In conclusion, bearded dragons do enjoy being held and handled. However, this should only be done with patience and caution, and it’s important to make sure that your pet dragon is comfortable and safe when being held.