Do Chickens Make Good Pets?
Domestic chickens are becoming increasingly popular as pets. Pet chickens are each unique, with their own distinct personalities, and can provide hours of entertainment and affection. Here, we look at some of the pros and cons of keeping chickens as indoor or outdoor pets.
- Affection: Chickens are intelligent animals and form strong bonds with their owners. They become very attached and will often follow their owners around the garden, even enjoying the occasional cuddle!
- Low Maintenance: Contrary to popular belief, chickens don’t require a lot of time and special attention. With some basic care, they can easily become self-sufficient.
- Eggs: When looked after properly, two hens will provide a family with all the eggs they need, resulting in fewer trips to the store.
- Noise: Hens are noisy animals. You can usually expect to hear their regular clucking, even if their coop is situated some distance away from your home.
- Space: Chickens require room to roam in order to be healthy and happy. An open-air chicken coop with surrounding area is necessary to provide essential exercise and shade.
- Predators: Many small predators such as foxes, hawks, and even cats have an appetite for chickens. If you don’t have an enclosed coop, predators may be a risk.
Despite these cons, chickens can make wonderful and entertaining pets with the right care. If you are looking for some extra companionship and fresh eggs, chickens could be the perfect pet for you!