How Old Are Hamsters Available at Pet Stores?
Hamsters are a popular pet choice, especially for those who are looking for a small and furry companion. But when it comes to buying a hamster from a pet store, it is important to know how old they typically are.
What Age Are Pet Store Hamsters?
Generally, hamsters available at pet stores are between 4-12 weeks old, though they can sometimes be a bit younger or older. This means they are still relatively young, and while they might look “fully grown” they are still growing and developing and will have a lot more growing to do.
What To Look Out For
When choosing a hamster from a pet store, there are a few things to look out for to ensure you are getting a healthy baby:
- The hamster should be active and alert
- Its eyes should be bright, clear and equal in size
- It should have a full, glossy coat
- It should have no signs of discharge
- It should have a normal, round belly
Also, you should always ask the pet store for the hamster’s age. They should be able to tell you the approximate age or when the hamster came in so that you can make a more informed decision.
How To Care For A Baby Hamster
Baby hamsters can be a little more delicate than adult hamsters and will require more special care. Here are a few tips:
- Provide a safe, comfortable living space
- Introduce food and water slowly
- Be extra cautious when handling
- Supervise playtime and avoid aggressive toys
- Provide plenty of soft bedding material
In conclusion, hamsters sold in pet stores are usually around 4-12 weeks old and require special considerations for care. As with any pet, it’s important to properly care for it in order to ensure it is happy and healthy.