How to Deter Geckos
Geckos are a beloved species of lizard, but they don’t always make the perfect house guest. If you’re looking to keep geckos away from your home or garden, there are several things you can do to achieve this.
- Keep garbage cans well-sealed.
- Clean up any spilled food on the floor or countertops immediately.
- Store pet food sealed tightly out of reach of geckos.
- Trim shrubbery and remove debris from your yard.
Use Chemical Repellents
- Peppermint oil: Soak cotton balls with peppermint oil and place them around the entryways to your home.
- Mothballs: Place mothballs around the perimeter of your home.
- Ammonia: Keep a few open bottles of ammonia around the edges of your property.
- Hot sauce: Mix some hot sauce with water in a spray bottle, and spray this mixture along affected areas.
- Install door sweeps to keep geckos from crawling in under the door.
- Put caulk or weather stripping around windows, vents, and other openings.
- Set up mesh screens over windows and vents.
- Put sticky adhesive tapes or barriers around baseboards.
- Install a motion-activated sprinkler in your yard. Geckos are sensitive to water, and will move away when it’s activated.
- Make sure to seal any cracks or gaps in your walls and attics, so geckos won’t be able to enter from there.
- Place some sort of light in the scene. Geckos find it uncomfortable and will stay away.
- Keep cats and other predators in your back yard or near your home, as they will naturally keep geckos away.
By taking these steps, you can successfully keep geckos away from your home and garden.