How to hold Guinea Pigs
Guinea Pigs are lovable animals, but they can be quite delicate. Knowing how to hold guinea pigs correctly can help ensure their health, safety and comfort. Carrying and interacting with a Guinea Pig in the right manner also allows you to form a deep bond with your pet.
Things You’ll Need
- Guinea pigs
- Soft cloth or blanket
- Lay a cloth or blanket on your lap before bringing the Guinea Pig over. This will give your pet something soft and familiar to rest on.
- Approach the Guinea Pig calmly and gently scoop the animal up in your hands. Make sure to support the Guinea Pig’s bottom with one hand and her front with the other.
- Bring the Guinea Pig to your lap and let her rest on the blanket before starting to pet her. Let the Guinea Pig sit there for a few moments and get comfortable before you start petting her.
- Gently stroke the Guinea Pig in the direction of her fur. You can also scratch behind her ears and other areas, although avoid petting her too vigorously.
- When you want to stop petting the Guinea Pig, scoop her up and take her back to her cage. Be sure to never pick up the Guinea Pig by her fur, as this might cause discomfort.
- It’s important to take your time when introducing a Guinea Pig to a new owner and break the ice gradually.
- Most Guinea Pigs don’t like to be picked up, especially when they’re first getting used to their owners.
- Keep your Guinea Pig away from small young children as they might accidentally hurt the small animal.