How to Store Mealworms for Geckos
Mealworms are one of the most popular insects fed to geckos and reptiles. But, it may be confusing to know how to properly store these insects for good nutrition for your gecko for a long period of time. Here are a few tips to help you store your mealworms for your gecko.
- Buy mealworms from a trusted retailer.
- Once purchased, make sure they are alive and moving.
- Separate the mealworms in a separate bowl to make sure they are healthy.
- Cool It Down: Mealworms should be stored in a cool dry place. Place mealworms in a container that is placed in the refrigerator or another cool place.
- Moisture: Keep your mealworms moist by adding a wet paper towel in the container. It is important to change the paper towel every two to three days to ensure a fresh and healthy environment for them.
- Food: As with any animal, it is important to provide the mealworms with food. Include a few slices of potato or carrot in the container. Make sure to change the food often as it can become stale and unappealing to the mealworms.
Feeding Your Gecko
- Clean Hands: Always make sure your hands are clean before handling the mealworms.
- Small Instances: When feeding the mealworms to your gecko, do it in small increments. This will leave room for other food in your gecko’s diet.
- Monitor: Monitor your gecko to make sure he is eating the mealworms. If your gecko isn’t eating the mealworms, consider adding more variety to his diet.
By following these easy storage tips, you can keep your mealworms alive and healthy so they can provide your gecko with good nutrition. Make sure to check on them often and keep your fridge or cool spot clean to ensure proper mealworm care.