Things you need to Use Sand Bath for Hamsters
If you have a hamster, most likely you have heard about sand baths. However, do you know how to do it properly? If not, don’t worry, here is what you need to do in order to give your pet the perfect sand bath!
- Hamster Sand: Make sure you buy the right type of sand, as other types of sand may cause respiratory problems in your beloved pet.
- Container: Any plastic container can be used as a sand bath container. It must be shallow enough to get your hamster in, but deep enough to allow him to roll around and have fun.
- Location: The sand bath should be provided in your hamster’s cage, preferably at a corner and in a location where there is no draft or direct sunlight.
- Fill the container with hamster sand so that the floor is covered by around one inch of sand.
- Provide your hamster some dried herbs or flower petals on top of the sand.
- Introduce your hamster to the sand bath and watch him get in. If he doesn’t seem to get in, try adding some treats or pieces of fruits.
- Once your hamster is in, let him have fun and bathe himself. Make sure he is not too hot or cold during his bath.
- Remove your hamster from the sand bath when he is done, and empty the container and clean it with warm water before refilling it with new sand.
- Always supervise your hamster during the sand bath.
- Replace the sand at least once a month in order to prevent bacteria and parasites to accumulate.
- Make sure your hamster doesn’t eat the sand, as it can cause digestive problems.
Sand baths are a great way to keep your hamsters clean and well groomed. Just follow these simple steps and you will be able to give your little pet the perfect sand bath!