What do Bearded Dragons Eat?
Bearded Dragons are herbivores and insectivores, meaning they feed mostly on plants and insects. Their diet can vary, but generally consists of:
- Dark leafy greens: These provide essential vitamins and minerals. Examples of greens to feed your bearded dragon include romaine lettuce, mustard greens, and turnip greens.
- Bell peppers: Bell peppers are a great source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and other nutrients.
- Squash & Zucchini: These vegetables are packed with antioxidants, Vitamin C and B-6.
- Cauliflower & Brocolli: These cruciferous veggies can provide a great range of vitamins and minerals.
- Crickets: Crickets should make up a large part of the insect diet for your bearded dragon. They can be bought from a pet store.
- Mealworms & Waxworms: Mealworms and waxworms are high in fat, so limit feedings to once or twice a week, as a treat.
- Dubia Roaches: Dubia roaches are also a great insect for bearded dragons, as they are low in fat and high in protein and calcium.
- Beetles: Bearded Dragons commonly eat beetles like Firebrats and Superworms.
In addition to these, some bearded dragons will also eat earthworms, silk worms, and grasshoppers. All of these should be dusted with a calcium and vitamin supplement to ensure they receive all the necessary nutrients and vitamins to stay healthy.
Remember that a bearded dragon’s diet should be varied to ensure they receive the proper nutrition. Be sure to also provide plenty of fresh, clean water every day.