What Do Fat Tail Geckos Eat?
Fat Tail Geckos are a type of Gecko native to Africa and the Middle East. They are well known for their distinctive, fat-looking tails. These fascinating creatures make for great pets, but for them to stay healthy, it is important to give them the proper diet.
Ideal Diet for Fat Tail Geckos
The ideal diet for a Fat Tail Gecko consists of:
- Live insects such as crickets, mealworms, roaches, waxworms and silkworms.
- Fruits & Vegetables such as apples, carrots, bell peppers and squash.
- Gut Loaded Insects: Gut loading means feeding the insects nutritious food before feeding them to the gecko, ensuring they provide a more balanced diet.
- Commercial Diets: Commercially-prepared diets are available for Fat Tail Geckos.
Foods to Avoid Feeding Fat Tail Geckos
Here is a list of foods that should be avoided when feeding a Fat Tail Gecko:
- Citrus Fruits – Citrus fruits can be acidic and can be difficult for a gecko to digest.
- Avocado – Avocado is toxic to geckos and should not be fed.
- Onion & Garlic – Both onion and garlic should be avoided as they can cause digestive issues.
In conclusion, when choosing a diet for your Fat Tail Gecko, it is important to look for a variety of sources of nutrition such as insects, fruits and vegetables, and possibly commercially-prepared diets. It is also important to avoid food items such as citrus fruits, avocado, onion and garlic as these can be harmful for your gecko.