What Live Plants are Safe for Bearded Dragons
Bearded dragons will generally not bother eating live plants in their enclosure, however, some can still be used to decorate and provide hiding spots for your dragon. Plant matter can also help with digestion and can reduce the amount of dusting that needs to be done.
Safe plants for your bearded dragon
Below are some live plants that are safe for dragons:
- Mustard Greens – This can be one of the most nutritious plants for your bearded dragon. Mustard greens have many vitamins such as Vitamin A, B6, C and K.
- Turnip Greens – These greens also have Vitamins A, B6, C, and K but are slightly lower than the Mustard Greens; Turnip Greens are also a great resource for calcium.
- Grape Leaves– Grape leaves can be great for bearded dragon owners because they not only provide a hiding spot they are full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- Mulberry Leaves – These leaves are quite large and full of vitamins such as Vitamin C, A, B6, and K. They can also help provide a good hiding place, while not being toxic.
- Carrot Tops– Carrot tops are rich in Vitamin A and C, as well as minerals like iron, calcium, and zinc.
- Clover– Clover is full of iron and calcium, and it is also a great hiding spot for your bearded dragon.
Unsafe plants for your bearded dragon
Below are some plants that should not be used in your bearded dragon’s enclosure as they can be toxic if ingested:
- Ivy – Ivy contains something called saponins, which is toxic for reptiles if ingested.
- Aloe Vera – Aloe vera can cause digestive issues for your dragon and can also be toxic if eaten.
- Tulips – Tulips contain many toxins and so can be quite dangerous if ingested.
- Marijuana – Marijuana should never be used with reptiles as it can be toxic and cause respiratory problems.
It is important to remember that even if a plant is not on the list of unsafe plants, it can still be toxic to your bearded dragon and should be avoided. If you are ever unsure about a particular plant or piece of vegetation, it is best to contact your local veterinarian for help.