Vitamins for Leopard Geckos
The leopard gecko is one of the most popular pets for reptile enthusiasts. As with any pet, keeping the leopard gecko healthy will require providing it with the proper nutrition and balance of vitamins.
Essential Vitamins for Leopard Geckos
For a leopard gecko to remain healthy, these essential vitamins must be provided:
- Vitamin A – Required for healthy skin, correct bone formation, normal metabolism, and a healthy immune system.
- Vitamin B – Assists with proper carbohydrate and amino acid metabolism.
- Vitamin C – Necessary for proper functioning of the immune system, healthy bones and teeth, and synthesis of hormones.
- Vitamin D – Stimulates calcium absorption and metabolism, as well as formation of bones.
- Vitamin E – Important antioxidant, protects cell membranes and helps maintain healthy eyes and skin.
- Calcium – Essential to bone and teeth growth and for regulation of muscle contractions.
- Phosphorus – Builds cells, bones and teeth and aids in energy transfer.
Leopard geckos are typically kept in captivity and as such, it is important that their owners provide supplements that contain these essential vitamins and minerals.
What Foods Provide Vitamins for Leopard Geckos?
In the wild, leopard geckos eat mainly insects, such as crickets, mealworms, and waxworms. With a captive diet, fed juveniles should consume crickets and mealworms, while adults can be fed up to 5-10 crickets size appropriately. A variety of feeder insects will provide a balanced diet, containing the needed vitamins and minerals.
Live feeder insects should be dusted with a calcium and phosphorus supplement prior to feeding. The supplement should contain a 2:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus. These minerals are essential for maintaining healthy bones and teeth.
In conclusion, proper nutrition is essential for keeping a healthy leopard gecko. Making sure that their diet is supplemented with the proper vitamins and minerals is an important part of this process. By providing these essential vitamins and minerals as well as providing a variety of live feeder insects, these amazing pet lizards will remain healthy and vibrant.